This month, Ms. Jackson’s class challenged all other classes to perform an Act of Kindness and then represent that act in a bulletin board display. Students put into action many different ideas for building our Culture of Kindness at Wilshire. Congratulations to Ms. Bonura’s class, Ms. Dogan’s class, and Ms. Rossi’s class who were our bulletin board winners. We hope the kindness will continue to spread throughout our school and beyond our walls into our community!
Online Kindergarten Registration
Kindergarten registration for September 2019 begins January 18 for the 2019-20 school year.
This year, our school is excited to be one of the pilot schools in the Board offering online registration for Kindergarten.
Children who turn four or five years old during 2019, live within the school boundary and whose parents are public school tax supporters will be eligible to register for kindergarten.
If you, or someone you know, is registering a child for Kindergarten at our school, you can access the online registration information at bit.ly/KindergartenYRDSB. Please note that for this pilot, a laptop or desktop computer is strongly recommended, rather than a mobile device.
Families are still welcome to register in person in the school office. Registration forms are available on the Board’s website at www.yrdsb.ca.
Show your Wilshire spirit and celebrate the beginning of the holidays by wearing your pajamas to school on Friday, December 21!
On behalf of the School Council at Wilshire Elementary School, we would like to share some exciting news with you! We are planning our first ever Valentine’s Dance-A-Thon for the students on Thursday, February 14th. Tell your kids to get ready to have an AWESOME day with BOUNCE Entertainment where they will have the chance to win fantastic prizes.
Our goal is to raise $4,000!! All funds raised will go towards purchasing new equipment and technology for our school. And did you know that the York Region District School Board will match our funds raised dollar for dollar!! To make this dance a success, we need prizes donated that can be used in the raffle. We are hoping to have some higher value prizes donated, such as the following:
– Gaming Consoles: Xbox/PS4/Nintendo Switch
– Wireless charging stations
– All sporting goods paraphernalia (toques, tickets, swag)
– Event tickets
– Instax Polaroid Camera
– Razor Ripstik
– Amazon Echo
As a valuable Sponsor, you will be recognized on site the day of the event and on the school blog. To make a cash or prize donation, please contact email@example.com.
Tax receipts are also available for donations that meet the YRDSB Board policy requirements.
We need your support to make this event a success! Big or small – every donation counts!
We look forward to hearing from you and we thank you in advance for your most generous support.
Mr. C. Barlow, Principal
On behalf of School Council
c.c., Lori Hazelwood and Nuryt Gioulos – School Council Co-Chairs & Jennifer Brinder – School Council Secretary
Welcome to December, and Happy Chanukah to those who are celebrating this festive time of year!
A few notices for our community as we approach these final weeks of 2018:
- The Winter Break goes from December 22 to January 6. We know that some students may be leaving early to go on vacation. If that is the case, please make sure that you notify the school via Edsby, or by calling Ms. Kakish in the school office. We have to assume that students are attending school up until December 21 unless we hear otherwise from a parent.
- Good luck to Ms. Tan, who has started her maternity leave. Welcome to Mr. Best, who has been filling in for Ms. Tan and will continue in this position for the rest of the school year. Welcome also to Ms. Rezaei, who has been replacing Ms. Volpentesta in Kindergarten until January.
- Thank you to everyone who has donated new clothing or toys to our Giving Tree. Ms. Jackson’s Grade 4 class has done a great job of collecting items for the York Region Police’s Holiday Heroes. You still have until December 12th if you would like to donate to this cause.
- Parents of Grade 7 and 8 students – remember to keep the evening of Thursday, January 17th from 6:30 to 730 open. We will be hosting the Principal of Westmount C.I., Ms. Sheri Epstein, to answer any questions that families have about the transition to high school.
Best wishes to everyone in the Wilshire Community as we enter the busy holiday season!