The following letter will be coming home with students today, along with their report cards. In addition to the staff members who will be retiring and transferring, we want to acknowledge and thank the educators who joined us this year to fill in for teachers on leaves of absence. Thank you to: Mr. Vosburg, Ms. Khan, Mr. Best, Mr. Campoli, Ms. Lall, Ms. Nair, Mr. Krebs, Ms. Gatis, Ms. Nguyen, and Ms. Buttiglieri. We appreciate all they have done and hope we see them again at Wilshire in the future!
A reminder that Thursday, June 27 is an Early Dismissal Day. Students will be dismissed at 11:55.
A correction to yesterday’s blog – There will be a Kids Kitchen hot lunch delivery today if you ordered Kids Kitchen for your child all year.
There will not be a Subway delivery tomorrow. Obviously, there will be no hot lunch delivery on Thursday as it is an Early Dismissal Day.
Sorry for any confusion.
This is a reminder that Friday, June 28 is a P.A. Day which means that there will be no school for students. Thursday, June 27 is an Early Dismissal Day. Students will be dismissed at 11:55 on that day for the school year. Please make sure you have child care arrangements for your children on those days. Report cards will be going home on Wednesday, June 26.
This is a reminder that hot lunch delivery is finished for this school year. There will be no Pizza Pizza, Subway, or Kids Kitchen this week. Please make sure you send your children with a lunch. Thank you!
Dear Wilshire Families,
It is hard to believe that Summer is almost here! We’ve had such an exciting year in the library, reading books, learning about the world, and engaging in wonderful critical thinking activities! Our students have also enjoyed selecting books from our library collection and becoming lovers of reading!
We know that it is crucial that students continue to read in the Summer months, as a leisure activity and to keep up their literacy skills. Encourage your children to read anything they can! Studies show that the best readers are those that are engaged in what they are reading, so allow your children to choose their reading material.
There are a number of ways we would like to support you in your Summer reading:
- Visit the public library! Vaughan Public Libraries will be visiting Wilshire this week to let kids know all about the amazing Summer programs being offered. We encourage you to visit your local library and take advantage of their amazing resources and programs!
- Our school has entered a summer reading contest! Between June 17th and August 15th, additional titles will be available on OverDrive’s app, SORA. It can be accessed via the app or at http://www.soraapp.com. The library is “York Region District School Board” and users should enter “York Region District School Board” as the school when signing in for the first time. The school with the greatest number of books read, adjusted for school population, will win a Samsung Galaxy tablet for their Library Learning Commons!
- We recognize that for some families, access to the public library may be difficult. To that end, our school library will pilot a Summer lending program which will allow interested students to sign out up to 10 books for the summer! Please e-mail Mrs. Byrne by Tuesday June 25th if you are interested in summer lending- email@example.com See below for the fine print!
In order for students to participate in our summer lending program, please read the following:
- Student account must be clear and free of all fines and materials
- Students may borrow a maximum of 10 books for the summer months
- All books must be returned in September. Students will not be able to check out new materials until the summer books are returned.
- Any books that are not returned, or are returned damaged, will incur a fine of $15.00 per book. Fines must be rectified so the student account can be cleared.
Happy Summer Reading!
Each summer, Student Transportation Services of York Region (STSYR) makes adjustments to bus route schedules to accommodate new students and new school openings. As a result, some students may experience changes in their bus schedule or route number. Please confirm bus information for September by checking www.schoolbuscity.com as of August 12. If you are unable to find the information you require, please contact your school.
During the first two weeks of school, students should arrive at their bus stop 10 minutes early. After this, students are asked to arrive 5 minutes early as each bus route develops its regular routine and service times.
In accordance with Board policies, transportation is provided for students who live within their designated Home School attendance area and outside their grade appropriate Non-Transportation Zone. Transportation eligibility changes throughout a student’s school career. Please note students currently in Grade 3 and Grade 8 who use school bus service may see a change in their eligibility as they transition to Grade 4 and Grade 9.
Eligibility JK- Grade 8
- All YRDSB students in JK – Grade 3 who live within 1.2 km of their school are not eligible for transportation.
- All YRDSB students in Grades 4 – 8 who live within 1.6 km of their school are not eligible for transportation.
Eligibility Grade 9-12
- All YRDSB students in Grades 9 – 12 who live within a transit served area are not eligible for transportation.
Parents may confirm their transportation eligibility by accessing the Find Your Bus Stop tab at www.schoolbuscity.com . Only those students who are eligible for transportation will be allowed to ride the school bus at Wilshire next school year. Students not eligible for transportation who wish to obtain York Region Transit information should visit their website at www.yrt.ca or phone 1-866-668-3978.
While the last day of school is June 27, we know that some students will be starting their summer vacations early. If your child will be ending their school year before June 27, please be sure to log into EDSBY to notify the school of the absence. Report cards cannot be handed out before June 26. If your child will not be at school to receive their report card on June 26, the office will be open on June 27 and June 28 for report cards to be picked up. If they are not picked up by the 28th, they will be stored until the week of August 26 when the school office re-opens. If you want to drop off a self-addressed stamped envelope in the office, we will mail out report cards on June 28.
If your child has an epi-pen or other medication at the school, these medications will be sent home on June 27 with the child. If your child will not be at school on June 27, please let the office know so that we can arrange to send home medications before then.
Thank you for your help as we prepare for end-of-year procedures!
Congratulations to all of our Junior and Intermediate Track and Field athletes who represented Wilshire at the Area Meets this week. Both days were amazing and we saw plenty of hard work and determination from our students. A special congratulations to all of our athletes who made it to the Finals in their events and to A.J., Noam, Annette, Alex B., Matthew M. and Jonah for making it all the way to the Regional Finals next Wednesday. A big thank you to Mr. Best for all of his work to coach the team and to Ms. Jackson, Mr. Campoli, Ms. Acevedo and Mr. Vosburg for their assistance at the meets.