We hope you are enjoying the remaining weeks of summer. We are looking forward to welcoming our students back to school for the 2022-23 school year. Please find a few updates on what students and families can expect for the start of school, including:
- First day of school
- Health and safety measures
- What to Bring
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
The first day of school is Wednesday, September 7. There is a supported entry plan for Kindergarten Year 1 (Junior Kindergarten, JK) students, starting on September 7 or September 8. Wilshire ES will send an email to all our Kindergarten families this week with more information.
Elementary – Grades 1 – 8
The first day of school for all elementary school students is Wednesday, September 7, 2022.
School calendars for all schools are available on the Board website.
HEALTH & SAFETY MEASURES
The health and safety of our students, staff and families remains our first priority, and we will continue to follow the direction and guidance of the Government of Ontario and York Region Public Health. The Ministry of Education has provided direction on supporting a return to a more normalized learning experience for students while maintaining specific protective measures.This includes:
- Students, staff members and school visitors are not required to wear masks in school. Individuals who feel more comfortable or who are advised to wear a mask can continue to wear a mask and will be supported in doing so.
- Students, staff members and visitors should continue to use and adhere to the COVID-19 School and Child-Care Screening Tool (please click on Check for Symptoms Daily), prior to entering the school daily.
- Hand hygiene and cleaning and disinfection protocols will continue. In addition, we will continue to follow our current ventilation practices, optimizing air quality in schools through improved ventilation and filtration.
Additional information about health and safety measures are available on the Board website at www.yrdsb.ca/school-reopening. We also encourage families to read this important message from York Region Public Health about the return to school.
WHAT TO BRING
Please send your child to school with:
● snack and lunch (no lunches can be dropped off at the school)
● change of clothes (Kindergarten only)
● sunscreen and hat
● refillable water bottle
Please label all of your child’s items with their name.
We also want to assure you that our caring, skilled and professional staff members are well prepared to support student learning and well-being in this transition back to school. We will work with you and your child to support your child’s mental health, well-being and academics during this transition back to school and to our new school routines.
We have a dedicated staff with a strong commitment to student well-being and achievement, and to promoting positive, inclusive and supportive relationships with students, families, staff and community members. We are committed to providing a learning environment where everyone feels safe, welcome and respected.
We will share our procedures for arriving on the first day of school and class placements on Friday, September 2nd.
We look forward to welcoming you and your child back to school.