Good Afternoon Wilshire Families!
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it Snow! February is a very full month of fun and learning at Wilshire and we wanted to give a quick overview of things going on and events or days we will be acknowledging.
February is Black History Month where we acknowledge the contributions of Black people of African Heritage to the cultural, economic, political and social fabric of Canada dating back to the early 1600’s.
The Friendship February Challenge has begun! At school and at home, we challenge our students, families and staff to use these daily prompts to bring a little kindness and friendship to those around you.
Kindergarten Registration is well underway for the 2022-2023 school year. Children who turn four or five years old during 2022 and live within our school boundary will be eligible to register for kindergarten. Registration information is available on the YRDSB website at Kindergarten Registration. All new kindergarten registrations will be done online this year. Please see the link or email our school office at email@example.com for more information.
French Immersion Registration for SK students is well underway! If you are interested in registering your child for French Immersion (FI) for the upcoming 2022-2023 school year, please contact our school office as soon as possible. A French Immersion pre-recorded information session is available to view at your convenience. Please see the link for more information about registration – French Immersion Information!
Timelines for Students in Grade 8 going to Grade 9 for September 2021:
- Gr. 8 students have begun working with their homeroom and transition teachers on transition planning and using My Pathway Planner. We ask that you review the information regarding school course selection and pathway planning with your child, and discuss courses they are planning to select for Gr. 9. Please connect with your child’s homeroom teacher should you have any questions.
- The de-streaming page on the board’s website includes information about updates to course offerings in Grades 9 and 10 as well as a document called What Families Want to Know About De-Streaming
- Grade 8 students will not be submitting registration forms for YRDSB secondary schools. Starting on February 16th, 2021, submitted course selections will function as their registration. The deadline for course selections, completed through MyPathwayPlanner, is February 25, 2022 at 4pm by pressing ‘submit’. There will be no printing or signatures required by schools.
Any grade 8 students not continuing in YRDSB for Grade 9 must use the “Not returning” option that will appear in the course selection tool when the course selection window opens on February 16th, 2022.
Community Information Session – Course Selection, Transitions & Pathways Gr. 8 & 9
Have questions about school course selection and pathway planning? York Region District School Board is hosting virtual information evenings for families of children in grade 7 or 8. Learn more about secondary school options and how to choose your courses. There will also be time for families to ask questions about courses and pathways.
There are several different sessions being offered for different community groups. Translators will be provided on the February 9th and 15th sessions if needed and as available.
For more information and to register, please visit: bit.ly/pathwaysevent22. All sessions will be held virtually from 6:30-8:30 p.m. There will be separate sessions for
Wilshire School Sign! At our last virtual school assembly, we had a friendly competiton between our classes. The task: Create a slogan to add to our Wilshire School Sign. There were many incredible phrases to encourage our optimism.
- Ms. Eisen’s Class “Stay happy, healthy and positive when things get tough!”
- Ms. Bonura’s Class “We can’t direct the wind , but we can adjust the sails”
- Ms. Budhrani’s Class “Stay positive and test negative.”
- Ms. Kadonoff’s Class “Smile today.”
- Ms. Racioppo’s Class “Be happy and do good!”
- Mr. Rosenfeld’s Class “You’ll never find a rainbow if you are looking down.”
Congratulations to Ms. Zoltak’s Gr. 2/3 class who are highlight this month!
Friday, February 11th –Celebrate our Canadian OLYMPIC Athletes by wearing RED & WHITE!
Monday, February 14th – Friendship Day – wear pink, red and white or clothing with hearts or a kind message on it.
Monday, February 14th – 18th – Olympic Spirit Week – Students will be participating in indoor and outdoor fun throughout the week. Please be sure to dress for the outdoors!
Friday, February 18th – Olympic Team Colours Spirit Day (more information will be shared with families).
Monday, February 21st – Family Day – no school.
Wednesday, February 23rd – Pink Shirt Day- we wear pink on this day to show our solidarity against bullying! If you someone who is being bullied, please let an adult at school know so that we can help.
Week of February 21-25 – Report cards will be sent home digitally.
Have a wonderful weekend.