It was so great to see so many turn out to our Virtual Wilshire Curriculum Night last night! We trust that the evening was informative to all who attended.
COVID-19 School & Child Care Screening Tool
Effective Monday, October 18, 2021, York Region Public Health will require students and staff members to use the provincial COVID-19 school and child care screening tool. Students, parents and guardians will still be able to access the link to the tool through the York Region Staying Safe at School webpage.
Please see this message from York Region Public Health which contains important screening and testing updates.
Secret Path Week & Walk for Wenjack
Secret Path Week is an annual, national movement commemorating the legacies of Gord Downie and Chanie Wenjack. The aim is to inspire Legacy Schools, and all Canadians, to use the week of October 17-22 to answer the call to action to “Do Something” by creating and engaging in reconciliACTIONS. The week raises awareness of the history and continued trauma caused by residential schools.
The Legacy Schools program, of which Wilshire E.S. is proud to be a part of, is a national initiative to engage, inspire and empower Indigenous and non-Indigenous educators, staff and students to take part in reconciliation everywhere in Canada. We will be sharing more informaiton with families on Monday through email.
Purple Spirit Day
October 21 is Spirit Day! This is a day started in 2010 by Brittany McMillan, a Canadian teenager. Brittany created the event after learning about youth who lost their lives after experiencing bullying related to actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity and expression identities. It has become an annual event in October when millions of North Americans wear purple to show their support for 2SLGBTQ+ youth and to take a stand against bullying. Wear purple on Thursday to show that kindness matters. Wear purple on Thursday to show that everyone is worthy of love.
Dress for the Weather
The cooler weather has arrived! Please ensure that your child is dressed appropriately for the weather each day. Daily outdoor activities and recesses are part of the regular school day, and we want to ensure that all students can participate comfortably.
Westmount Collegiate Institute Grade 8 Open House and IB Information Evening
Due to health and safety restrictions, secondary schools are unable to host an in-person Grade 8 Open House or International Baccalaureate (IB) information evening this year.
- Westmount CI Open House is LINKED HERE for November 9th, 2021.
- Westmount CI Arts Program Information evening is LINKED HERE for November 2nd, 2021.
- Alexander Mackenzie High School IB Program Information is LINKED HERE and application process opens October 15, 2021.
- Bill Crothers Secondary School Open House & Athletic Application Process is LINKED HERE for October 19, 2021.
As always, the purpose of these information evenings is to welcome Grade 8 families to share information regarding secondary school programming for students transitioning to high school.
Free Virtual Group Mentoring Programs
Big Brothers Big Sisters of York (BBBSY) is offering free virtual group mentoring programs designed to empower youth while keeping them connected to their peers. Please see information about each program below with links to register your child. If requested, participants may be placed in groups with classmates or friends.
If you have any questions, please contact Sara Congiusti at Sara.Congiusti@bigbrothersbigsisters.ca
- Virtual Go Girls! Is designed to connect and empower female – identified youth between 6 – 15 years old. Facilitated by trained Mentors, participants are provided with the opportunity to engage in fun and interactive discussions and activities. The program promotes physical activity, balanced eating, self-confidence, and stress management. It is delivered once a week for 6 – 8 consecutive weeks , depending on the age group, using a secure online platform. Each group will be coordinated so similar aged participants are paired together. To enroll your child in Virtual Go Girls! Please complete our online registration
- Virtual Game On! Supports male – identified youth between the ages of 10 – 15. Facilitated by trained Mentors, participants are provided with the opportunity to engage in fun and interactive discussions and activities. The program promotes physical activity, positive nutrition, stress management, and building relationship skills. The program runs once a week for 8 consecutive weeks and will be delivered using a secure online platform. To enroll your child in Virtual Game On! Please complete our online registration
Mark Your Calendar for the Wilshire School Council – Pumpkin Decorating Contest!
Have a great weekend.