This week we welcomed our students and families back to in-school learning, it was so wonderful to see all of the smiles (even behind the masks)! On Wednesday, we reviewed new safety rules and procedures with all classes through virtual assemblies and celebrated “I Read Canadian” with a wonderful read-a-loud called “Be You!” We thank you for all of your support preparing our students for back to in-school learning.
For our families, please remember to wear a mask when on school property (drop off and pick-up) and ensure to practice social distancing at all times. Students and families are encouraged not to congregate after school.
NEW Health and Safety Measures!
As previously communicated, there are some new health and safety measures in place, including:
- Updated School Screening Tool (Please see the link for the checklist) – On a daily basis, students, staff and essential visitors must screen for COVID-19 before going to school. Anyone experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms is required to remain home.
- Masks are now required for students in Grades 1-3, as well as those in Grades 4-12. Students in kindergarten are strongly encouraged to wear masks.
- Masks are now required outdoors, during recess as well as common areas, in addition to in-class and in the gym.
- Lunch /Snack Expectations: During eating times at school when masks are not being worn, students must remain in their own seat/desk and refrain from talking. When finished eating or wanting to speak, students need to put their masks back on.
- Students are discouraged from congregating before and after school.
- York Region Public Health is recommending that students wear three-layer masks. Two layer masks are permitted if they are clean and fit appropriately.
Thank you for your ongoing support and patience. We will continue to share updates and information with you as it becomes available. You can also follow the Board’s Twitter feed: @YRDSB, or for information about YRDSB’s reopening plan, visit: www.yrdsb.ca/school-reopening.
If you borrowed a device from the school prior to the break, we ask that you return the device to school, as the devices belong to our classrooms and students use them throughout the day in order to complete assigned work. Please be sure to return the chromebook in the bag provided or clearly labelled with your child’s name to their teacher so that it can be recorded as being returned on our inventory list. Devices will be sanitized and prepared for students’ use upon being returned.
Elementary Model Change Information
If you requested a change in program from in-person to virtual, or virtual to in-person, any change of program will take effect Wednesday, March 3, 2021. For students returning to F2F learning on March 3rd, you will be notified on Thursday February 25th of your child’s classroom and homeroom teacher.
For students moving to the Elementary Virtual School your first day of synchronous learning is March 4th, and communication will be shared by the EVS school the week of March 1st, regarding classroom assignment and teacher.
Registration has begun for the 2021-2022 school year. Children who turn four or five years old during 2021 and live within our school boundary will be eligible to register for kindergarten. Registration information is available on the YRDSB website at Kindergarten Registration. All new kindergarten registrations will be done online this year. Please see the link or email our school office at email@example.com for more information.
Grade 8’s Transition: Course Selection for Gr. 9
- Gr. 8 students have been working with their homeroom teachers on transition planning and using MyPathwayPlanner. Please connect with your child’s homeroom teacher should you have any questions.
- Grade 8 students will not be submitting registration forms for YRDSB secondary schools. The deadline for course selections, completed through MyPathwayPlanner, is February 24, 2021 at 4pm by pressing ‘submit’. There will be no printing or signatures required by schools.
- Any grade 8 students not continuing in YRDSB for grade 9 must use the “Not returning” option that will appear in the course selection tool when the course selection window opens.
We will continue to share updates and information with you as it becomes available.
Your partners in learning,