We continue to have concerns raised both from staff and parents about the safety of drivers going through our parking lot and Kiss and Ride area during drop-off and pick-up times.
Here are the things we have done at the school to try and reduce these issues: increased staff on duty, focused on safety of students; multiple messages sent to parents and students reminding of safe procedures; reporting to York Regional Police about the general concern and reporting specific drivers who are driving unsafely.
The bad weather conditions (snow and rain) tend to lead to more people to drive their children to school. This also leads to more traffic, longer time to get through the drop-off area, and increased impatience on the part of drivers. Please give yourself extra time in the morning if you are dropping your child off at school. Children can begin entering the school at 8:40, so you do not need to wait until 8:55 to drop them off. Speeding around a car in the school driveway is not worth the risk of hitting a child in order to save a couple minutes because you are running late.
If at all possible, drop your child off on a side street and have them walk the short distance to the school. Coldwater Court and Forest Lane Drive both have paths that go directly into the school yard so children can walk safely into the school and avoid the parking lot traffic and the traffic on Beverley Glen.
The parking lot on the West side of the school is for Staff Parking. It is not for student drop-offs in the morning or pick-ups in the afternoon. We have had more than one close call with children almost being hit by people backing up out of parking spots or pulling in at the end of the day. Please arrange another pick-up point with your child at the endo of the day and use the Kiss and Ride at the front of the school for morning drop-off.
Here are reminders for parents who are using the Kiss and Ride area to drop off students. Please share this information with others who are responsible for dropping off or picking up your children:
- Please pull up past the crosswalk and into the hatched marked “Kiss and Ride” area to drop off your child.
- Please make sure your child is ready to leave the car promptly when you stop. They should already have their belongings in their hands so they can jump out quickly and not keep others waiting.
- If you need to put your car in Park and get out to help your child, please pull into a parking spot to do this. The Kiss and Ride area is just for quick dropping off of children.
- Please have your child(ren) exit from the passenger side of the car for their own safety.
- If you are just dropping off, please don’t pull over to the side of the area. If you pull to the side, people will pass around you.
- Please do not pass other cars in the Kiss and Ride area. Children could be getting out on the driver’s side and get hit. Please wait until you are past the Kiss and Ride zone to go around cars.
We are counting on all drivers to remember that a school parking lot is a dangerous place with children everywhere. We need you to put the safety of children over the inconvenience of having to wait for cars in front of you. Moving forward, we will be reporting the license plates or identities of all unsafe drivers to York Regional Police as they also take the safety of school zones very seriously. Thank you for your support and assistance.