Dear Wilshire Families,
It is hard to believe that Summer is almost here! We’ve had such an exciting year in the library, reading books, learning about the world, and engaging in wonderful critical thinking activities! Our students have also enjoyed selecting books from our library collection and becoming lovers of reading!
We know that it is crucial that students continue to read in the Summer months, as a leisure activity and to keep up their literacy skills. Encourage your children to read anything they can! Studies show that the best readers are those that are engaged in what they are reading, so allow your children to choose their reading material.
There are a number of ways we would like to support you in your Summer reading:
- Visit the public library! Vaughan Public Libraries will be visiting Wilshire this week to let kids know all about the amazing Summer programs being offered. We encourage you to visit your local library and take advantage of their amazing resources and programs!
- Our school has entered a summer reading contest! Between June 17th and August 15th, additional titles will be available on OverDrive’s app, SORA. It can be accessed via the app or at http://www.soraapp.com. The library is “York Region District School Board” and users should enter “York Region District School Board” as the school when signing in for the first time. The school with the greatest number of books read, adjusted for school population, will win a Samsung Galaxy tablet for their Library Learning Commons!
- We recognize that for some families, access to the public library may be difficult. To that end, our school library will pilot a Summer lending program which will allow interested students to sign out up to 10 books for the summer! Please e-mail Mrs. Byrne by Tuesday June 25th if you are interested in summer lending- firstname.lastname@example.org See below for the fine print!
In order for students to participate in our summer lending program, please read the following:
- Student account must be clear and free of all fines and materials
- Students may borrow a maximum of 10 books for the summer months
- All books must be returned in September. Students will not be able to check out new materials until the summer books are returned.
- Any books that are not returned, or are returned damaged, will incur a fine of $15.00 per book. Fines must be rectified so the student account can be cleared.
Happy Summer Reading!