Thank you to everyone for a great first day back at Wilshire. Everyone was able to get settled into their new classes quickly with regular routines starting right away. It was a hot day and it is expected to be even warmer today. We will be limiting the amount of times students spend outdoors today and students will be reminded to drink lots of water and take it easy. Students are encouraged to bring a water bottle to school to help them keep hydrated.
Just some reminders as we continue this week:
- We encourage students to walk or wheel to school as much as possible. For those parents who are driving their children to school, we would encourage you to use the Kiss and Ride area at the front of the school to drop off your children. Please remember to drive slowly as many children are walking. If you wish to park and walk in with your child, please use one of the side streets as we do not have enough parking for visitors in our lot.
- Students should not be using personal cellphones at school during the day, unless they have been given permission by their teacher for a school-related activity. If you need to speak with your child during the school day, please call the school office and messages can be passed on.
- If your child take a bus to school, please remember to check http://www.schoolbuscity.com to confirm route information.
- Our “Book of Forms” should have come home with your child on the first day. Please sign and return all consent forms promptly. Grade 7 and 8 students may be given permission to leave the school at lunch. However, they must either stay every day or leave every day. Please discuss this with your child and indicate the appropriate choice on the consent form.
- Remember to please report all absences, including religious holidays, to the office through Edsby.
- Due to many severe allergies, we are a nut safe school. Please refrain from sending products that contain nuts to school with your children.
- With changes in enrollment that happen in September, we may need to reorganize classes in order to meet class size regulations. These changes will happen over the first 3 weeks of school, so we appreciate your patience as we work through this process. You will be notified if any changes are happening to your child’s class placement as soon as those are determined.
Some upcoming dates to remember: September 24 – PA Day (no school for students); September 27 – Curriculum Night
It has been great to meet all of the students and many families during this first week. I am looking forward to an amazing year with everyone at Wilshire!
Mr. Barlow, Principal