The start of a new school year can be a period of transition for students and families. As students start heading back to school, here are a few tips to help make the start of this school year a positive one:
- Start back to school bedtime and morning routines now. A good night’s sleep and proper nutrition will go a long way in making the first week back a success.
- Try to prepare the night before so the morning is stress free – pick out clothes, and pack a nutritious lunch and snacks.
- Engage your child to help pack his or her lunch. Use reusable containers for a litterless lunch, and remember that schools are nut free.
- If your child is taking the bus, plan to arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes early.
- Make sure your child is dressed appropriately for weather.
- Remember to label everything.
- Supply lists vary by school and grade. Teachers will let students know what they need. You won’t need supplies on the first day, so there is still time to shop.
- Make sure there is a quiet space to do homework.
- Talk to your child about starting school, and about his or her day at school.
Parents are the most important partners in their child’s education. For more information on how parents can get more involved with their child’s education, please visit our Board website.