Support Wilshire while cheering on your Toronto Argonauts. August 16th tickets also include free admission to the CNE! Be sure to use the Promo Code: WILSHIREARGOS
The safety of our students remains one of our top priorities. As part of our efforts to ensure the safety of the students in our care, in the 2019-2020 school year, we will be introducing a new communications system that will send text messages to parents/guardians for emergency purposes only.
1. Our safe arrivals program is in place so we can account for the whereabouts of absent students. If you have not informed the school of your child’s absence in advance, the school will take steps to ensure your child is safe. This includes sending an automated text message to parents/guardians to confirm the child’s whereabouts if we cannot reach you by phone.
2. Earlier in the year, we informed you that there may be rare occasions when emergency severe winter weather events occur and we need to close schools and Board locations. This is different from bus cancellations on inclement weather days, when schools are kept open. In our efforts to ensure that families are notified if there are closures, parents/guardians will receive a text notification. This is in addition to providing notification through Board and school websites, social media and local media.
Parents/guardians will only receive text messages for these two scenarios, and will have the ability to opt out of receiving text messages should they choose. Additional information will be shared with families in the fall, including how to opt out and how to ensure your child’s school has the correct contact information.
Thank you for partnering with us to ensure we are providing a safe, caring and welcoming environment for all of our students.
The following letter will be coming home with students today, along with their report cards. In addition to the staff members who will be retiring and transferring, we want to acknowledge and thank the educators who joined us this year to fill in for teachers on leaves of absence. Thank you to: Mr. Vosburg, Ms. Khan, Mr. Best, Mr. Campoli, Ms. Lall, Ms. Nair, Mr. Krebs, Ms. Gatis, Ms. Nguyen, and Ms. Buttiglieri. We appreciate all they have done and hope we see them again at Wilshire in the future!
A reminder that Thursday, June 27 is an Early Dismissal Day. Students will be dismissed at 11:55.
A correction to yesterday’s blog – There will be a Kids Kitchen hot lunch delivery today if you ordered Kids Kitchen for your child all year.
There will not be a Subway delivery tomorrow. Obviously, there will be no hot lunch delivery on Thursday as it is an Early Dismissal Day.
Sorry for any confusion.
This is a reminder that Friday, June 28 is a P.A. Day which means that there will be no school for students. Thursday, June 27 is an Early Dismissal Day. Students will be dismissed at 11:55 on that day for the school year. Please make sure you have child care arrangements for your children on those days. Report cards will be going home on Wednesday, June 26.
This is a reminder that hot lunch delivery is finished for this school year. There will be no Pizza Pizza, Subway, or Kids Kitchen this week. Please make sure you send your children with a lunch. Thank you!
Dear Wilshire Families,
It is hard to believe that Summer is almost here! We’ve had such an exciting year in the library, reading books, learning about the world, and engaging in wonderful critical thinking activities! Our students have also enjoyed selecting books from our library collection and becoming lovers of reading!
We know that it is crucial that students continue to read in the Summer months, as a leisure activity and to keep up their literacy skills. Encourage your children to read anything they can! Studies show that the best readers are those that are engaged in what they are reading, so allow your children to choose their reading material.
There are a number of ways we would like to support you in your Summer reading:
- Visit the public library! Vaughan Public Libraries will be visiting Wilshire this week to let kids know all about the amazing Summer programs being offered. We encourage you to visit your local library and take advantage of their amazing resources and programs!
- Our school has entered a summer reading contest! Between June 17th and August 15th, additional titles will be available on OverDrive’s app, SORA. It can be accessed via the app or at http://www.soraapp.com. The library is “York Region District School Board” and users should enter “York Region District School Board” as the school when signing in for the first time. The school with the greatest number of books read, adjusted for school population, will win a Samsung Galaxy tablet for their Library Learning Commons!
- We recognize that for some families, access to the public library may be difficult. To that end, our school library will pilot a Summer lending program which will allow interested students to sign out up to 10 books for the summer! Please e-mail Mrs. Byrne by Tuesday June 25th if you are interested in summer lending- email@example.com See below for the fine print!
In order for students to participate in our summer lending program, please read the following:
- Student account must be clear and free of all fines and materials
- Students may borrow a maximum of 10 books for the summer months
- All books must be returned in September. Students will not be able to check out new materials until the summer books are returned.
- Any books that are not returned, or are returned damaged, will incur a fine of $15.00 per book. Fines must be rectified so the student account can be cleared.
Happy Summer Reading!